"...From pizza roll snacks in high school, ramen noodle college-days, those first months of marriage dinners (sorry baby), being introduced to the art (and joy) of cooking from scratch from a friend, and then being forced into seasonal cooking by our move to a small Eastern European town, my culinary courtship has taken on a life of its own. Now, the relationship is much more stable, more reliable. It isn't jealous or insecure, rather it enjoys growth and new experiences and can be relied upon for sustenance and support. And so, I'd like to use this space to share some of my experiences with you in hopes that your own relationship with food might become more loving and joyful."


(Oh, and just so you know, I plan to post at least twice a week and share a recipe at least once a week. So there. You can hold me to that because it's in writing....)

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Apples

It's been a very full week and a half. Lots going on. All the normal stuff plus an extra project this past weekend. And then I got the news that my Grandma died. She had been ill and we knew it was coming soon. My mom had been waffling between dates to fly out to Vancouver, WA to see her mom one last time. Fortunately, she booked a ticket that would have her arrive just one day before her mother passed; allowing my mom some special last moments with her.
     I've been thinking a lot about my Grandma. How our family would visit her and Grandpa out in California when we were young. How petite and smiley she was. How she lived such a healthy, active life. (She was in a series of exercise videos for seniors called Lite and Lively at the age of 60). For as long as I can remember, she's been an acutely healthy eater, although my mom says that this wasn't always the case. Somewhere in her 50's she decided it was time to make some changes in her eating habits. And when she decided to do something, she stuck to it.
     Over the years, my Grandma and I remained in some sort of contact (even though we lived on opposites sides of the US and later, on different continents). But letters were few and far between and I regret to say that I could have done a better job at communication. Sometimes it was difficult to find things to talk about because our worlds seemed so far apart from one another. Thing is, I'm not so sure they really were.
     You see, I'm thinking now that she would have loved this blog. We shared this love of good, healthy food and I can just imagine how much fun it would have been to see her comment on these pages with thoughts and recipe ideas of her own. (We also both loved interesting fabulous jewelry, something I'm just now realizing, and bird-watching).
     I'm getting packed to fly out to Vancouver early tomorrow morning for the funeral. It's going to be a short, intense trip. But it will be good to see my family and to put my arms around my Grandpa. Mom says the service will be beautiful and the weather is going to be sunny and 70. There will be a reception afterwards.....Grandma requested apple pie be served. :)
    In honor of my Grandma, Betty Lou McIntyre, here is one of her favorite apple ideas; perfect for Autumn days. It is in response to a letter I had written her some years back, requesting the recipe:

Betty's Baked Apples


In regard to your question about baked apples--they are delicious aren't they. In the Microwave Cookbook it says core the apples and trim off a strip around the top. Spoon raisins into the center and mound brown sugar on the apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Drizzle with apple juice (I've used water). Cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave for 5-6 minutes for 2 apples and then let stand for 10 minutes. Spoon pan juices over apples. Serve with vanilla ice cream or cream.


We like a syriuppy juice over the apples, so I pour the pan juices into a sauce pan, add more water and 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed) and cook it until it is the consistency of a regular syrup. Cook it on low while it bubbles and keep an eye on it.

1 comment: