"...From pizza roll snacks in high school, ramen noodle college-days, those first months of marriage dinners (sorry baby), being introduced to the art (and joy) of cooking from scratch from a friend, and then being forced into seasonal cooking by our move to a small Eastern European town, my culinary courtship has taken on a life of its own. Now, the relationship is much more stable, more reliable. It isn't jealous or insecure, rather it enjoys growth and new experiences and can be relied upon for sustenance and support. And so, I'd like to use this space to share some of my experiences with you in hopes that your own relationship with food might become more loving and joyful."


(Oh, and just so you know, I plan to post at least twice a week and share a recipe at least once a week. So there. You can hold me to that because it's in writing....)

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The A-List

I love to shop. And I love lists. So, in theory, I should love going to the grocery store. And most of the time I do. It's the times when I've not been prepared that I've ended up the most frustrated. Armed with my little list of yummies; brimming with potential to nourish and sustain my family, I arrive at the store ready to navigate through the mediocre in order to find the pearls. Ok, so it's really not that dramatic. But sometimes it feels that way as I'm dodging giant neon green signs pushing Twinkies and yellow arrows pointing me to the cookie aisle where I can buy two for the price of one. (This becomes even more precarious when my three-year-old son accompanies me to the store.)
     Fortunately, I have my A-List practically memorized. These are the stars of my cupboard, the icons of my pantry. These are the items I know I'll need every week. I can add to this list as the calendar unfolds, but I know that the basics for my cooking preferences are covered if I simply adhere to the list. It looks something like this:
Fresh Produce
baby spinach (I like the kind that comes in the big, clear, container)
purple onions (I put onions in practically EVERYTHING)
garlic
ginger root
peppers (red, yellow, green....whatever's on sale)
tomatoes 
avocados (one or two ripe ones and the rest not quite ready yet)
sweet potatoes
broccoli
other seasonal vegetables
seasonal fruits
grapes
Dry Goods
basmati rice
brown rice (I like RICESELECT Texmati Brown Rice)
whole wheat tortillas
12 grain or whole-wheat multi-grain bread (I like Aronold's)
Whole-wheat pasta (I like Barilla penne..sometimes it's only a dollar a box at Kroger)
couscous (Again, RICESELECT is my favorite.)
oatmeal
Canned Items
black beans (of course, dried beans are best, but I'm not always thinking that far ahead, so in a pinch canned black beans are fabulous)
garbanzo beans
corn (I add corn to just about anything)
albacore tuna
kosher dill pickles
dry lentils
Cold Items
soy or almond milk
veggetarian cheese substitute (I like Veggie Shreds)
vegetarian meat crumbles
vegan mayo (I only buy Veganaise....love, love, love it!)
Snacks/Cereal
hummus (I used to make my own, but haven't done so in a while...hmm, maybe it's about time....)
cashews/almonds
raisins
natural peanut butter (I buy Kroger Natural Creamy and let me tell you, I am a true pb conoisseur)
blue corn chips
Kashi GOLEAN Crunch cereal (Awesomeness in a bowl. more protein in one serving than an egg and 8g of fiber to boot.)
Condiments/Baking
100% pure maple syrup (I use this as a natural sweetner....so much so, apparently, that when I put some on my son's waffle the other morning he exclaimed "Mama! Syrup is for coffee not waffles! oops.)
spicy mustard
olive oil
ground cumin
curry powder
dill weed
ground coriander seed
fresh basil
Frozen
peas
corn (Roasted in the oven with a little EVOO, this makes a fabulous addition to almost any dish.)


So, there you have it. And here's one of my favorite recipes of all time if that list has you so inspired....


Spiced Chickpeas, Tomatoes, and Spinach
Serves 4


What you will need:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon hot mustard
2 Tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 cup chopped onion
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 big handful of fresh baby spinach
8 oz. can of tomato sauce
2 cans (or about 2 1/2 cups) of cooked garbanzo beans
1 cup vegetable stock


What you will do:
1. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add the spices. 
2. Add the onion and garlic. Saute until golden, about 5 min.
3. Add the spinach, tomato sauce, and half of the garbanzo beans.
4. In a blender, puree the remaining garbanzo beans with the stock.
5. Add the puree to the skillet and simmer for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over couscous. 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found a typo, lol. Trying again!

    Looks like I get the honor of being the first to comment on the actual blog itself!

    This sounds yummy and I have ALL the ingredients on hand. Guess what we're havin' for dinner tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sheila for this new blog. Having endured intestinal issues this past summer, this old lady is ready for some changes in her diet!

    Alva Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alva, thanks for following! I know ALL about intestinal issues....which is another reason why I now cook the way I do. If you don't have it already, check out EATING FOR IBS by Heather Van Vorous. It's packed full of fantastic recipes for sensitive tummies!

    ReplyDelete